NSW Opportunity classes in primary schools are provided to high achieving, academically gifted students with an educationally enriched environment.
Opportunity Class Placement are for Year 4 students seeking entry to Year 5 the following year.
The selection criteria: Opportunity Class Placement Score based on the placement test results in
English, mathematics and general ability, together with their primary school's assessment of their performance in English and mathematics.
Other evidence of academic merit may also be considered.
Year 5 entry to an opportunity class is managed centrally by the department's Selective High School and Opportunity Class Placement Unit.
Application for Year 5 placement in an opportunity class: typically in April - May in Year 4.
Prospective students sit the Opportunity Class Placement Test (typically in July in Year 4) and are allocated places at schools
according to their profile score, out of 300, which comprises both exam and school marks.
Find more information about Opportunity Class Placement including test format / date / test, application / date, selectionn process and more
here under New South Wales or linked official pages.
- Find out how the minimum entry score or
placement profile score is set or calculated.
- On a statewide basis only one in 200 or .5% of students would generally be capable of acceleration in all subjects to be successful in an opportunity class.
- There are 75 opportunity classes offering placement in Year 5. The number of vacancies was over 1700 and the number of applicants was over 11, 000.
The success rate is about 15%, double competitive as the selective school placement success rate 30%.
See OC test success rates and stats by year.
- Practice is the key to excel in the tests. You may need to buy
selective school entry test books for practice.
The practice questions provide an ideal opportunity for students and parents to develop familiarity with the style of the papers and gain valuable experience answering real questions.
We recommend that students practise practice papers 'under exam conditions' (e.g. timing).
- Opportunity Class placement past test papers.
- Aim for top results? Find a
music teacher or a