Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School
A leading state government school with a specialist focus
Entry to the school for VCA Secondary School dance and music students is by competitive audition, which is held in August each year. This is a wonderful experience for the whole school community as we watch our school take shape for the next year. The mission of our school is to help identify, and assist, children with exceptional potential, regardless of their personal circumstances, to benefit from world-class specialist training as part of a broad and balanced education, which will enable them, if they choose, to proceed towards self-sustaining careers in music and dance.
- Do you know a child with a special talent in music or dance?
- Would he or she benefit from special training?
- Would they need help with the costs of their training?
The Victorian State Government support of our specialist program in music and dance currently enables over 200 exceptionally talented children to have access to the best specialist music and dance training available alongside an outstanding academic education.
There is a need to educate and train, from an early age, children who are exceptionally talented in the two fields of artistic endeavor - music and dance - if Australia is to maintain a world-class pool of talent for future generations. The need for early training, in particular the primary development of the physical and intellectual disciplines required of dancers and musicians, is recognised by many to be greater than for some other forms of artistic endeavor. The program offered by the VCA Secondary School enables exceptionally talented children between the ages of 11 and 18 to receive an outstanding academic education alongside the best specialist music and dance training available.
We believe that children benefit from close association with similarly gifted children who provide the stimulus of competition and example:
- by receiving support with the costs of lessons, pupils from all over the state have access to an extended teaching day and to practice and studio facilities within the environment of the school
- school organization can take account of the individual requirements of the pupil and the need for orchestras, choirs and performances to be integrated with other parts of the school curriculum
- distinguished practitioners can be attracted to teach and/or take master classes
Academic Results and Trends
Year 12 ATAR |